Pastor: Fr. Gary Schlack
Deacon: Rev. Mr. Paul Klaassen
Deacon: Rev. Mr. Nick Cherri
Ministry to the Sick
Ms. Sarah Kwiecinski
Co-ordinator of Youth Ministry
History of our Parish
Bishop Joseph Ryan commissioned the formation of St. Ambrose Church for the city of Galt in 1955. The first parish Mass was celebrated in neighbouring St. Ambrose School on Sunday, June 26, 1955. On October 18, 1955 groundbreaking for the new Church took place. Reverend J. F. Ford, the founding pastor, took up residence in the new rectory on December 21, 1955. On June 3, 1956, St. Ambrose Church was officially opened and blessed by Bishop J. Ryan.
The name “Ambrose” was chosen to honour Monsignor Emmet Ambrose Doyle who, for many years, served as Pastor of Galt’s first Roman Catholic parish, St. Patrick Church in Galt.
Various additions and improvements have been made to the church over the years. In 1966 the sanctuary was enlarged with two side naves added. At the same time an addition was made to connect the rectory to the Church.
In 1978-1979 the front exterior and main entrance was changed to allow more room in the narthex. In 1992 handicap accessibility for the Church was made possible through the addition of an elevator.
St. Ambrose Parish has always had a strong devotion to the Blessed Sacrament. A meeting room in the church basement was turned into a Perpetual Adoration Chapel in 1999. Dedicated parishioners ensure that the Chapel is occupied 24 hours a day. The latest enhancement to the church in 2006 has been the addition of beautiful stained glass windows depicting the Mysteries of the Rosary.
The spiritual life of our parish has been enriched through our ethnic diversity. Our parishioners have always had a great devotion to our Blessed Mother and the Holy Eucharist and is fortunate to have many prayer groups. The size of the parish has grown greatly in 50 years and now ministers to approximately 2500 families, five elementary schools and one high school.